Description of the error
Error 50020 occurs while attempting to log in to Heroes & Generals. The H&G Sync window pops up in front of the main game window, and the login process fails to complete. After a while, the message “Error: Can’t bind to port 50020. Is something else using it?” will be displayed.
If you are playing on Steam, you might get asked to revalidate your files, but this will not resolve the issue. The only fix is to free up port 50020.
How to fix it
- Run the Windows Command Prompt by launching the Start Menu and typing “CMD“.
- Right-click the Command Prompt app and select Run as administrator.
- Type the following text in the Command Prompt window:
Note: Copying and pasting the line might not work in all versions of Windows.
- Run the command by pressing Enter. The next line will tell you what is using port 50020.
Note the right-most number: it is the PID (Process ID) number that you will use to find out what application is using the port.
- Launch Windows Task Manager and click on the Details tab. Click the top of the PID column to sort the listed applications by PID number.
- When you have found the program causing the issue you will need to figure out if it is a program that you can stop or uninstall.