When attempting to purchase Gold through Steam, you may receive an error message saying that the Steam Overlay needs to be activated.
Always launch Steam first!
DON’T: The most common reason for this to happen is that players launch H&G directly from the SteamApps folder (by default C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Heroes & Generals) by doubleclicking on an .exe file without logging in on Steam.
The Overlay cannot run if you start the game like this.
DO: To make sure the Overlay activates, please always launch Steam first, then log in and find Heroes & Generals from inside the Steam interface.
How to enable the Overlay in Steam
Make sure to refresh your Steam files if you haven’t done so already.
Once you have launched Steam and logged in, please make sure the Steam Overlay is enabled in the client:
- In the Steam client, go to the “Steam” menu and select Settings > In-Game.
- Make sure the checkbox “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game” is checked.
- Then go to the “Library” tab, and find Heroes & Generals under “Games”.
- Right-click Heroes & Generals and select “Properties”.
- Make sure the checkbox “Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game” is checked here too.
Still no Overlay? Check Flash hardware acceleration
A possible (but uncommon) reason that prevents the Overlay from appearing is that Flash hardware acceleration is turned off. Although Heroes & Generals uses a built-in version of Flash to render its interface, you will need to use a web browser equipped with the Flash Player plugin to access this setting.
- If you are currently playing, close the Heroes & Generals window.
- Launch your web browser.
- Navigate to the Flash Player Help page.
- Scroll down to the “tree” animation.
- Right click on the animation and select “Settings” . The Settings dialog will appear.
- Change the tab at the bottom to the display (if not already there) and check the “Enable hardware acceleration” checkbox.
If after following these steps exactly, the Steam Overlay still fails to appear, you will need to contact Steam’s support.